Monday, May 11, 2015

Sunday Well Spent

You know when you wake up on a Sunday morning, still exhausted? No? Gosh you're lucky! ;)

 Well, no rest for the wicked, as they say.  ha! ha!

Of course, the best part of one of these mornings, is when you're able to just wake up slowly, taking in your surroundings, and getting your bearings. I am not a morning person. At All. But my kids have insisted for the last 13 years or so, that this is my reality now.



Morning "mykelele" jam sesh with the nugget. She likes to dress herself lately, just, you know, FYI ;)

And that was my cue to get up, ha! ha!
Besides, the little one in incubation was demanding nutrition.

One thing I'm really appreciating about my cravings during this pregnancy, is that they are for foods of the healthy variety.
Breakfast fixins, waiting to be slapped together, for a delicious 'mostly' egg-white omelette (I added the remaining 2 eggs we had) with fresh spinach, cremini mushroom, crushed garlic and some delicious Jarlsberg cheese grated on top and melted to perfection.

Another weekend breakfast staple for us is oatmeal.  

I like to mix rolled oats with large flake oatmeal, the texture formed is both creamy and crunchy. Darling liked to call it Hautemeal, because of all the extras in there. I like throwing in dried fruit, nuts, and seeds. Anything I've got on hand.  This breakfast packs a punch, and keeps us full all morning long. 




I've also started liking my green smoothies again lately. I've had a few strange food aversions, which are finally starting to wane.
I balance the greens with sweet ripe fruit, like bananas, mangoes or pineapple. I've also been partial to a dash of cinnamon in there as well.
Here's one of my favourites:
1 cup of fresh baby spinach
1 long celery stalk
1 chunk of fresh peeled ginger (the size of this piece really only depends on the heat you personally like in your smoothie, I use an ice cube sized chunk.)
1 large ripe banana
1/2 a large mango, peeled and diced (frozen works as well, and will give your smoothie a creamier texture)
2 cups coconut water, and then top the container with filtered water.

I must admit, we absolutely love having a Vitamix. We got it about 18 months ago, and I can honestly say that it gets used at least every other day (we make larger batches of green juices at once, so they last a few days. But I don't much like it passed the second day. The fresher the better. 



Our oldest out on a Daddy Daughter date at A coffee house. I don't think she's ever met a cake pop she didn't like ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment