Monday, September 22, 2014

Jewels French Onion Soup

Okay, I've received a request for my supah-dupah French Onion Soup recipe, so I thought I'd share it with ya'll, thinking that someone else might be in the mood to attempt it. It's quite easy, but stinky! ;)

I make my soup slowly and carefully, and bring my onions to a caramelization point, where they get to a deep brown color. The cold weather is coming, and I can assure you, this is one hearty soup that will please many!

Ingredients (This will serve up to 6 people)

4 large onions (I like Spanish onions, or Vidalia)
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
3 tbsp. Butter
~ 2 Litres of beef stock (can be substituted for vegetable stock)
Sliced French bread
2-3 oz grated Cheddar or Gruyère cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

2-3 Bay Laurel leaves
Rosemary sprigs (either fresh or dry)

1. Peel and quarter the onions and slice  them thinly. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Use one with a wide base, so you'll get better coverage with the onions.

2. Fry the onions on Med-High heat for a for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Reduce the heat to Medium, and cook until the onions become a light shade of brown. NOTE: The onions will gradually turn golden, then very quickly to brown. You only need to stir the onions on occasion at first, but as the onions brown, you'll have to stir more frequently. You need to stir them constantly when they brown, so they won't stick or burn at the bottom of the pan.

4. When the onions are a deep brown, this is where I add the salt and pepper, and the rosemary & Bay leaves. I stir it all for a few minutes, to let the flavours mix together, then I add the stock. Then you just let the pot simmer for about 30 or 45 more minutes.

5. While the soup is simmering, slice your baguette, and grill or toast the slices. Spoon the soup into ovenproof (or microwave safe) bowls, place a piece of bread in each bowl, and then sprinkle a generous amount of grated cheeze over each bowl. Grill in the oven at 250 for a few minutes until golden. Season with a fresh sprig of rosemary, and some freshly ground pepper, and Voilà ! French Onion Soup à  la Jewels!

Bon Appétit!

I hope you will like it as much as I do. It's delicious, very easy to prepare, and worth the wait. Perfect after a nice brisk fall walk.

Moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment